Wednesday, December 17, 2008

TIME Magazine's Person of the Year




What a shocker!
Has TIME Magazine changed the definition of their "Person of the Year".
Let me see if I can locate the official (or what used to be the official) definition of their P.O.T.Y.
"TIME's Person of the Year is the man, woman, couple, group, idea, place, or machine that for better or for worse, has done the most to influence the events of the year."
Hmmm, did I miss something?...nope, it's still December 2008.
Well, how would one characterise his influence on 2008? He spent a lot of money making grand promises and he convinced more voters to believe his promises than McCain did. Can't think of anything else. Even if he had a real connection to Blago's Belly-flop it's a pathetic list of "influence (on) events".
(Insert oath), I can think of a few people who, "for better or worse", are on the top of MY list.
Richard Syron, CEO of Freddie Mac from 2003 to 2008 is near the top. As is Daniel Mudd, Fannie Mae’s CEO from 2005 to 2008. Or, SEC Chairman Christopher Cox.
Even TIME's runner-ups are weak compared to my candidates: Treasury Secretary Henry Paulson, French President Nicolas Sarkozy, Gov. Sarah Palin and Chinese director...wait, did I see Sarah Palin. Sarah Palin? Are you kidding me? I would have listed her somewhere down there near Ralph Nader. Go figure!
Oh well. Come to think of it, I stopped subscribing to TIME nearly twenty years ago when their resemblance to a news magazine fell off the charts.






1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete