Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Two Mentors for our Character S

So OK, S*has two trusted mentors. The Old Shaman, (S calls him Grampa though he does have a name,) has seen S's potential as an acolyte. The other, a Computer-Entity who we shall refer to as W**., lovingly employs S as a tool. W must teach S to live survive in worlds that are eons apart.

Of the two, the Shaman has the first responsibility for S's education. He will start his acolyte's training as early as age 4-5. I have a rough mental outline to introduce the spirit world with  the old tried-and-true relationship between the sculptor and the stone. That view of religion/spirituality can be compatible with W's science education goals.

Then the question of what and when S learns about science will start with Animism***. I think I'm comfortable with that. My gut says that a grasp of the-world isn't-flat concept is not a problem with Animism.

OFF TOPIC:
One thing that S has on his side is trust in his mentors and persons of authority in general. I envy him. I don't have that trust and I don't think I'm alone. That trust started slipping away at least 50 years ago. I wonder, is that a negative or a positive as I write?

* In case you missed it, the character names are in a state of never-ending flux. I'll try, at the least-but-don't-hold-me-to-it, to keep the first letter of a character's name fixed. For a but-don't-hold-me-to-it example, S's best friend's name started with L yesterday but is holding dearly onto C today.
** W really truly loves S. He/It is S's father.
*** The cap is intentional.

No comments:

Post a Comment